At Valley Personnel, we have a labour division that sends workers out daily to a variety of different employers. They get paid when they finish a shift, and could go to a different employer every day. This program has proven to be a character and morale builder for a segment of our population – Syrian refugees. The students who joined the labour force have become confident, proud wage earners for their families, and the change in them has been evident.
Summer work experience is the best way for students to get a taste of their potential careers. It is also a chance for your company to show them the benefits and pitfalls of their career choice. Looking for summer work helps students hone their job-hunting skills for the day when it becomes serious business. The following is a list of ways you can contribute to a great summer experience for a student:
- Set goals and objectives with them for their summer experience and check in regularly to make sure they are on track.
- Be intentional in equipping them with the skills to be successful.
- Involve them in real work, not just busy work. Let them draft reports, attend meetings, complete assignments.
- Help them build a network for the future.
- Explain to them that their performance will help them build valuable references.
- Teach them to seek and accept feedback and adjust their performance accordingly.
- Encourage them to ask lots of questions, not just to follow instructions.
At the end of the summer, ask the student for feedback on his/her experience working in your company. This process will make the student feel valued and validated and will give you some valuable insights into the workings of your company. Remember, the students who come to work with you are the leaders of tomorrow. Take a role in making them great!
Whether you or someone you know is looking for flexible, temporary work, or if you are a business owner or manager whose company could use some temporary workers – give Valley Personnel a call to see if we can meet your needs!